gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] random play list for music only

From: kracker
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] random play list for music only
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:21:36 -0600

hmm, interesting ...

It would seem like random play supports excluding a directory (say
called lectures) already ;) but ..

In Testing ...

I tried to exclude a directory (top level dir) from my collection
(shrunk for accuracy testing to 3 dirs). Setting from conf file:

#
#  Songs and directories can be excluded from the random output if they
# are included in the next setting.  Seperate multiple entries with a '|'.
# plugin_random_exclude = Talk|Spoken|Audiobook

plugin_random_exclude=books

Be sure to restart the gnump3d server to use the updated settings.
- The random directory respected my excluded directory setting.
- But I could not seem to get the random selection to respect this
setting (using v2.9.4). So I submitted a patch to add support for this
feature to gnump3d-devel :)

This should satisfy part of your request.

I also could not seem to get a url combination of /random/playlist.m3u
to return a randomised playlist :\

- /random/playlist.m3u -- Returned an empty playlist
- /random/play -- Not really sure how this feature works ... i got an
error saying "Error - No tracks sent."
- /random/recurse.m3u -- Returned an empty playlist

Summary

Sorry, when I start thinking about it, I can't help but think aloud
about how it would be nice to be able to pass a url to to gnump3d to
get a randomized m3u playlist (minus exclusions) returned with
variable length/number of songs, real time.

It looks like some of this is supported in code but it did not work
for me. I'm not yet sure where this breakdown is occurring, possible
bug or incomplete feature.

Fyi, this came up in the mailing list archive from last year on the
same topic, interesting background read since I did not see this
setting explained in the docs :\

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnump3d-users/2005-02/msg00021.html

//kracker
back to the grind ...