gnump3d-users

Re: [Gnump3d-users] Is this the right software for me?

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Is this the right software for me?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:07:02 +0100

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:59:35PM +0200, Robert Douglass wrote:

> I have a site under managed Linux hosting. I've got a number of mp3s
> available on the site, and when users click on the links, a download begins.
> I'm looking for a way to offer them a streaming option instead. I'm not
> interested (for this project) in anything that returns html pages, or
> indexes my mp3s, or keeps stats about anything in particular. I've got
> access to Perl, but looking at the config file I'm not sure that I'll be
> able to configure my server correctly. Does anybody have any experience
> using gnump3d in this way, from a managed hosting environment, strictly as a
> behind-the-scenes streaming server? Is there any literature available to
> help me install and configure in this way?

  Whilst I like the software a lot and pimp it out as much as I can
 I don't honestly think that this is really for you.

  Essentially you say that you have some MP3s and you want
 them to be available to visitors as part of a website which will
 let them click and stream them.

  You don't want indexing, nor do you want anything heavyweight.

  My software will allow you to do this kind of thing, but only in
 a very roundabout manner.

  Really I think that you could do this manually - if you have a
 directory already containing the MP3 files that you wish to share then
 just could just create a couple of playlists, one for each individual
 track and one for the complete collection.

  Share those links in the HTML pages you already have and your visitors
 would download the playlists, which would open in winamp/whatever and
 the player would request the songs directly.

  Does that make sense?

  Maybe apache's mod_mp3 would do this for you without any of the
 unnecessary features - but unless you have tons of files and are
 updating them often you could just do it by hand.

Steve