Re: [Gnumed-devel] Document parts display

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Document parts display
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:08:38 +0200

> Here is what happened: when I double-clicked on the Vietnam 2003 "referral
> report", very little happened.

I see.

> Yes, the edit area opened and I could see,
> in a part, the Comment
>
>       "Happy schoolgirls enjoying the afternoon sun catching the smile of
> passers-by at an ancient bridge in the paddy fields near Hue"

That's the document part metadata/sign dialog which opens because
there's no review by you (that's configurable).

> however no word processed or rtf or text

That is what happens for me, on Debian.

> or html file opened, nor a photo
> or image (which is what this comment sounded like

The SQL code bootstrapping this example document stems from the time
when we did not yet have part-less documents. Thus, a fake document
part was added containing the test "missing".

> This is why I asked what I should be expecting, or what might be the
> solution, and I was directed to check logs.

I assumed the log would contain statements to the effect of whether
it was able to export the document part you were expecting to see
and how many bytes it was expecting/actually exporting.

> All that I could find was the test
> data script, seeming to indicate that instead of an actual document or image
> file, only the text "missing" was attached which seemed to me a "stub" to
> avoid to have to ship an actual document or image in the tarball.

That's correct.

> but now I think the truth is that the 7K is accounted for by
>
>       "Happy schoolgirls enjoying the afternoon sun catching the smile of
> passers-by at an ancient bridge in the paddy fields near Hue"
> +
>       "missing"

It is only 7 *byte*: m i s s i n g

> if each would be saved as a file. I concluded incorrectly that this
> "referral document" consisted *only* of the comment but I gather there was
> also a
> tiny blob (a file) containing just the text
>
>       "missing".

Exactly.

> What happens on Debian and Ubuntu when this part is double-clicked? Does a
> window open to display "missing" in *addition* to the Edit Area window
> opening?

Yes, it shows just fine for me.

Karsten