Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed forum

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed forum
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 00:35:55 +0100

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 09:17:40AM +1000, syan tan wrote:

> They set the postgres user's password, which isn't needed
That's correct. IF the default pg_hba.conf allows for IDENT
based "postgres" access.

> if you can do sudo - as - postgres .
Which the bootstrapper does, internally, anyway ;-)

> BTW , what do people think of sqlobject for python , it looks a
> lot like a remake of the hibernate movie of 4 years ago, if you look at
> their website . Do you think using their middleware would be a problem
> in the future ?
I have been tracking sqlalchemy and have failed to see the
*big* advantage so far. To go out and use a particular
toolset which requires me to use a "philosophy on how things
database *ought* to be done" will take some convincing. If I
see really convincing arguments, fine. I don't see too much
trouble in how we currently do it (apart from the fact that
some people think the complexity that is left is not
needed). One thing that's particularly unfortunate about
those sql kits is that many assume they are the one creating
tables and such.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346