Re: [Gnumed-devel] DrugBrowser nicer piccie

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] DrugBrowser nicer piccie
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:22:26 +0100

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:31:37PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> Looks really nice Richard...
I agree ! Looks *very* usable. Reminds me of Richard's
original designs, too.

> was that derived from/with your drug data in Postgres,
> pulled into a wxPython widget?
I guess so, yes ?

> Might the above fall within a a larger possible
> vision to have the drug data sitting inside an
> installation of drugref?
The code which displays the widget, pulls in the data from
PG, and holds the data (the schema, that is) likely does not
have much in common with anything directly suitable for
drugref.

However, it serves *several* very useful functions:

1) it gives us one initial, working implementation of drug
   data browsing: it makes a plausible promise

2) it gives us one working implementation of a database
   schema capable of storing the MIMS data we want/need
   - drugref encourages per-source schemata

3) it gives us one working data transfer path from that
   schema into a frontend, IOW it fleshes out the necessary
   queries
   - drugref uses per-schema "drivers": the driver knows how to
     talk to it's database schema, we would only need to add an
     API to it which the drugref core knows how to talk to

I think that's plenty good. I would start using fairly
recent MIMS data to look up interactions, contraindications,
indications, side effects, dosages any day !

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346