Re: [Gnumed-devel] getting closer to a version that "makes sense"

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] getting closer to a version that "makes sense"
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:22:16 -0400

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:36, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > He is right - reducing dependencies is invaluable, and it enables us to
> > run gnumed clients on a lot more platforms (e.g. handhelds) with non-wx
> > user interfaces (e.g. console interface)
>
> I fail to understand how using Ian's db-api enables
> us to run on non-wx platforms. I'm sure you wanted to say
> something else.

Python runs on next to anything.
wx is replaceable for less demanding client applications e.g. on handhelds,
e.g. by QT, Fox,  or just plain curses - the latter running on next to
anything too.
However, with pyPgSQL you are stuck, much harder to port - but with a backend
library in pure Python, hey - a TK interface as usually delivered with most
Python installations out of the box plus our Python code, and you're running.

Horst