Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: gui/schema

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: gui/schema
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:10:50 +0200

> The client does look better as either 2 looks , Richard's layout or
> multiple tab layout;
Hm, multiple tab layout is still there just as before ?

> the backend schema gets changed quite a lot
It doesn't really get *changed* that much. We are just adding
on in areas where we haven't put enough thought into it.

> when it might have been possible
> to do it with less features in multiple versions.
Well, Horst initiated this project with an uncompromising set
of sound paradigms and we have tried to veer off as little as
can be done.

> Everytime I look at Richard's exposition,
> I think it can be almost be done in a week, if  there was a one to one
> mapping, and maybe a slightly more commercial package like qt designer
It seems you are saying that if one paid a hundred programmers
for a month one could have rewritten PostgreSQL far quicker. I
am not really getting your point.

> Most of the effort has been towards building a fine infra-structure,
> when maybe the specific use cases could have been tackled first.
Sebastian and me HAVE tackled specific use cases only. We
tackled document archiving, we tackled lab data storage, we
tackled vaccinations. All of which are in use or are pending
imminent deployment. We have just taken the pains to let as
few quick hacks slip in as possible and working on a sound
infrastructure by solving the use cases at hand. Yes, this has
made progress slower than I would have like but I fail to see
the fault in that ?

> Then there's the feeling that all the schema information is available by
> examining pg_class and pg_constraint ,
Or rather information_schema which is standard SQL.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346