Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:36:12 -0700

On Jul 15, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
- Return and Enter keys function the same, both inserting a paragraph
mark OR (if the keypress is preceded by a specified character yet to be
decided
AND there are no other characters *following* the current insertion point
... [then] either key will jump to the next SOAP line

So if in a visit I have so far got:

S: sore throat 3d, mild pain on swallow, no nose, ear Sx, no cough
O: temp 37.8, ENT N, chest clear
P:

and I am about to jump to Assessment, but the patient notices I wrote 3d, and says it has actually been a week, and while I am at it, I confirm "no fever?" - "no"

So I now click back into S: selecting the 3, replacing with 7 and inserting "no fever":

S: sore throat 7d, no fever, mild pain on swallow, no nose, ear Sx, no cough ^--- current insertion point after "no fever"
O: temp 37.8, ENT N, chest clear
P:

so my current insertion point is after "no fever" and now I want to jump to "A:", but how to do it from the keyboard, if Enter is to be constrained by the presence of characters beyond "no fever"?

Also, in our weighing how to support "new line" versus "jump to next SOAP element", which key presses would in actual practice be most numerous?
- new lines within all the SOAP elements, or
- jumps across RFE/SOAP/AOE

The examples so far have been kept very short and simple but, in actual use, may we expect point form within SOAP to be desirable and often generate several lines across SOAP, easily outnumbering the jumps across elements? If that indeed is likely, then is it better for the default action of return/enter be to create a new line, and for some other key combination (or a character followed by Enter) to be used to signal the desire to jump? People whose existing EMR supports paragraphs and point form could comment from experience.

Also, if we wish the editor to be understood to be a text editor, however smart, it seems daffy to expect the average doc (who has not followed GnuMed development) to expect the Return/Enter key to do anything other than behave like a word processor and create a new line in the insertion point situation described above:

S: sore throat 7d, no fever
, mild pain on swallow, no nose, ear Sx, no cough
<or more appealingly a hanging indent thus:>