[Gnumed-devel] re: pids

From: syan tan
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] re: pids
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:00:05 +1000

manish gupta wrote:

>Hi sjtan,
>
>I got a project in which we need to implement PIDS for
>authentication of user. But the problenm is I am not
>getting the starting point.
>
>Can you please help me by telling how to start with
>PIDs implementaion.
>
>If there is any good resources on net then please let
>me know. I have studied specification of PIDS from OMG
>group's site
>
>Thanks in advance
>appkamanish

>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

There's one for gnumed in python. The resources I used was  reading the
**openemed** java implementation of pids on sourceforge.
getting a orb with a python biinding ( omniorb on sourceforge   which has GNU
licensing),  using the omniorb idl  skeleton code
generator on the  OMG  idl definitions found in openemed or the OMG website,
and tweaking them slightly for omniidl to work.

Then read the documentation from *openemed*  or from OMG about the pids
specification , and look at the
openemed java implementation for comparison.  I used an IDE to browse the
openemed source code.

Then , have a target database for your pids , and do  mapping code within your
implementation of the pids server .
My target was the gnumed demographics schema, and the preferred language was
python.
The omniidl.py  generates python objects that have attribute and method names
as found in the PIDS Specification.

The python objects generated by omniorb idl can be read , and I think you can
do   x.__dict__  to try to guess how the
idl  generated  python objects are called, on the python command line ( after
importing the generated package).
Knowing the corba type system as per java sdk 1.4+ ,  org.omg.*  packages may
help.

I think the fairly short user's guide from omni orb py , helps to.

You can find the python pids-to-gnumed code in cvs
gnumed/gnumed/test-area/corba  .

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/test-area/corba/README.txt?rev=1.4&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Hope it's of use.

P.S. I never got around to using it for authentication;  I think that is
actually another omg service.

But Openemed does implement some sort
of security service related to pids access, but I
didn't try to learn it.