Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap and what a 0.1 release will "look like"

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap and what a 0.1 release will "look like"
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:16:45 +0100

> With respect to the universe of GNUMed functions, have we use for terms
> like:
> - "user-initiated" for a process that can (or may only ever be)
> user-initiated i.e. might not otherwise be "triggered" nor run on a
> schedule
Yes, such as "viewing an archived document".

> - "user-accessible" (triggerable) for a process that a user may access
> (trigger), though the process might also be automated, and
Yes, such as "lab results import".

> - "user-controlled" for a process that runs SOLELY when triggered at
> the user's request, where the user may or may not exert some choice,
> perhaps e.g. ASCII export ?
Yes, such as "selective chart export".

> I was thinking that some standalone clients, such as fetching lab
> results, even though they run as background processes, might usefully
> also be  "user-accessible" (triggerable).
Yes.

> Example: patient asks for their lab result taken yesterday, which is
> not yet in GNUMed --- the lab could have generated the result after the
> last cron job. Now, if the user could know that the last job only just
> ran 20 minutes ago, there is little value re-running it, but if it was
> last done a few hours ago (especially if there were a service
> interruption and cron will not run again for a while) it may well be
> worth fetching that result immediately to guide patient care. The user
> could ask that the job be re-run, ideally within the lab viewing
> interface,
Yes. Howver, this may require some jumping through loops as
the client will usually run on some local machine while the
user-accessible job will likely run on some central machine,
say, a modem server. But in general, yes.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346