Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed documentation
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:33:06 -0800

On Mar 23, 2004, at 1:52 PM, Hilmar Berger wrote:
a) Gnumed Programming API / source documentation: use one of the available tools (my favorite being epydoc) to automatically create the documentation once a week directly from a... local [CVS] copy on gnumed.org.
Tony Lembke thinks the above sounds reasonable and is willing to assist when he gets a chance

b) User Manual/Developer Manual: Keep the existing (SGML-based) documentation in CVS as long as no other way to produce an PDF/tree of static-html pages has been found.
How has the SGML been produced to date? Built on "plain text" contributions, which gets hand-coded into SGML by yourself, Hilmar, or sometimes Ian or others, and then uploaded into CVS? Has there been any special significance or reason to put it in the CVS, or has it simply been convenient to put the manuals on your own computer (in your local CVS) and then to upload?

If we find a wiki that really suits our needs, put a note in each of the manuals, that now the current version of documentation is to be found in www.ourwiki.org. Copy the content from SGML to the wiki. Let all documentation work be done there.
I await a comment from Engelbert otherwise there may be no large benefit of one wiki over another. None fully meets our needs at present but I am much more happy to work under wiki than if I need to do complex hand -coding which for me may be a barrier.

I have gotten familiar with TWiki in whose format we have some of our current wiki docs (most NB the updated roadmap) but even if we switch e.g. to MoinMoin the repairs may be minor as the wiki syntax largely overlaps. MoinMoin has table of contents and indexing features, TWiki has TwikiForms. Both support html and other document uploads.

Before a public release, either find a way to extract the contents from wiki
As part of a TWiki backup, David Grant had generated for me a set of html files and I expect he did not have to manually save each individual wiki page. Once the set of html pages is collected in preparation for an "updated public release" perhaps the following could help http://www.abc.se/~m9339/prog/html2sgml.html

or manually backport the changes to SGML
Yes, so long as we record the wiki page revision at which the SGML was last (updated and) frozen, the wiki can easily provide the diff from the old revision to the current.