Re: [Gnumed-devel] multiple gmDemographics.py

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] multiple gmDemographics.py
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:04:12 +1100

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 01:31:53 +0100
Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is the deal with the two copies of gmDemographics in wxpython and
> wxpython/patient ?
>
> The look pretty much the same.

This is legacy of the fact that Gnumed has two layout managers, the 'basic' one
that provides the
notebook tabs across the bottom, and the 'fancy' one that currently resides in
the "Patient Details"
tab, based on Richard's VB client. It's plugins reside in wxpython/patient.
[as an aside, making gnumed the only package AFAIK where plugins have their own
plugins]

Originally, we planned that stuff that related to an individual patient would
sit in "Patient Details",
everything else (such as Contacts) would sit outside on the notebooks tabs [in
Richard's client, Contacts
is a standalone application] As you can see, this rule is respected more in
the breech than the observance,
with stuff all over the place.

Some developers (Horst, myself) think having two layout managers is stupid,
however no consensus
has emerged about which one should win out.

Personally I prefer Richard's, but I would rather for the notebook tabs alone
over the status quo, which I'm
sure would thoroughly confuse new users of gnumed.

My suggestion would be to allow users to select the layout manager in
gnumed.conf. This is not difficult as the plugin API
is already quite generic, all we have to do is split gmGuiMain.py into the
'stump' main module and a gmNotebookManager
module.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E