Re: [Gnumed-devel] There is something really wrong with our mail

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] There is something really wrong with our mail
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:25:30 +0100

> I've noticed quite fequently replies to messages which have been a thread of
> which I've not seen the thread.
>
> Also it can be days before some messages reach me. I also have days when
> there
> is absolutely no traffic reaching me from gnumed.
Both of this has seemed to get better the last two days or so
und I am quite sure is unrelated to my particular problem.
I've seen this list *slowdown* before with the occasional
message drop due to fatal delivery timeout. If a subscriber
has sufficiently persistent delivery problems the list
software may drop her off the subscribers list. That is what I
suspected first was happening to me. This standard list
slowdown is often due to a spammer/DOS attacker flooding a mail
server on our path or having taken over an edge router etc.
flooding the routes towards us.

However, yesterday I eventually changed my POP3 password on my
primary account. Guess what. The message drops *immediately*
ceased to exist. Did this after observing my account via web
interface seeing an existant inbox message disappear but never
appear on my machine without even so much as a trace in my
mail fetch logs (I didn't even fetch at the time the mail
disappeared). This seems to mean that someone was draining my
account faster than me which explains the occasional mail that
got through to me.

IOW, my POP3 access had been cracked, apparently. So, this
does happen.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346