gnulib-tool-py

[gnulib-tool-py] gnulib-tool.py: a new life

From: Dmitry Selyutin
Subject: [gnulib-tool-py] gnulib-tool.py: a new life
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 04:31:39 +0400

Hello everyone!

First of all I'd like to apologize that I've been absent: I've been sent to Italy to study Latin for this year to be able speak it. Since I've missed more than month of study when I've come to Academy, I had to use all my efforts to catch up with the rest. However, I've never forgotten about the promise I've given to Bruno, though I wanted to make a small surprise for Bruno and all great people who work to make gnulib even better. The other factor explaining why the work was carried out in secret and result was never publicated until this time is that I wanted to rewrite gnulib from the beginning, so I don't wanted to use the same public git repo or create public branch to let anyone see it before it will be ready.

Though even now I see some things which I can implement a bit other way or change, I think that gnulib-tool.py and pygnulib, its basis, are now almost ready for real work. There are some nuances, though they (except one) don't seem to take any significant part. I feel that the largest part of work is completed.

git: address@hidden:ghostmansd/pygnulib.git

Addendum:
0. Since it's really painkill to support both Python and Python3K, only the last one was left. I think the time has come, so I've removed support for Python's versions less than 3.
1. Short documentation (which I'm planning to increase later) is located here: pygnulib/README. It just briefly describes pygnulib and shows some short examples. The most notable part of documentation can be acieved by typing "pydoc3 pygnulib". The other way to understand the way pygnulib works is to see the sources, especially gnulib-tool.py, pygnulib/PyGNULib/GLImporter.py, pygnulib/PyGNULib/GLTestDir.py files.
2. I've never writtten scripts to manually add python packages to their location. If you need to use pygnulib in your own scripts, you must manually copy it to corresponding directory. I advice to adjust "GNULIB_ROOT" variable inside pygnulib/PyGNULib/constants.py file before copying pygnulib to Python modules: it should help you not to get tired from pointing to gnulib-root directory when creating GLSystem instances.
3. Don't forget to see pygnulib/TODO file. It contains some really usefult information, including semi-bugs.
4. gnulib-tool --avoids now accepts modules as list too, not the way as it was before (I've forgotten to tell about it in documentation). I think it's a good idea to fix it, but when I've thought about it, I was to lazy to fix it. If it is necessary, I'll fix it.

Any questions are appreciated. Testing is appreciated even more, though I've tested only some basic actions with some basic packages like hello.

Since I'm studying in Italy yet, I won't have so much time until summer. However, I hope that I can help even this time, though I can't promise it will be often. I hope that situation will change when summer comes.

Good luck!

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Selyutin