gnuherds-app-dev

Re: Polish translation -- first phase

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Polish translation -- first phase
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:35:48 +0100

Davi Leal wrote:
> Witek Adamus wrote:
> > I can do it.  Just send me all materials to translate so I won`t have to
> > husk em ;-p
>
> I will send you the PO gettext file to realize the first translation phase.
>
> It is a lot of work! I warn you!  The second phase will be much less.

Using the poedit tool [1], or anyother, the PO gettext files to translate are:

    messages.po
    database.po
    nationalities.po

 [1] http://www.poedit.net/

For the below PO edit files we will use the ones supplied by the iso-codes
package [2] with some modifications.  I will do this sub-task, the iso_*.po

    iso_3166.po
    iso_4217.po
    iso_639.po

 [2] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-isocodes/

There are already almost complete translations for:

    * Spanish
    * Italian
    * Portuguese
    * Russian
    * French
    * German

To translate to Polish, you can use as template the English-to-Russian,
English-to-Italian or ..., Or I can work out for you English-to-empty files.

Advantage of using double language as template instead of English-to-empty:

  * Say you understand more or less Russian,
    having a second language in the file you are translating help you
    to do the right translation, due to you will have double information
    about what each sentence means.

Example of English-to-German file:

    msgid "Log in unsuccessful!"
    msgstr "Log-in fehlgeschlagen!"

Example of English-to-empty template file:

    msgid "Log in successful!"
    msgstr ""

How do you think we should share the tasks (files translate) and the $50 USD ?

We could split it by number of 'msgid' to translate?

Do you think it would be better if the translation is done by only one person?

--
Ref.: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2008-12/msg00020.html