Re: [gnugo-devel] Latest news from the Olympiad

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Latest news from the Olympiad
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:55:01 +0200

Jan wrote:
> I do not really think so, since Go Intellect won e.g. against Many
> Faces as well.

Yes, but Go Intellect lost all its games against Indigo and NeuroGo,
whereas GNU Go instead won all games against those, except for that
unfortunate corner incident.

> But even if so, there is nothing wrong with that, since GPL states
> clearly that anyone is welcome to use the program as (s)he pleases,
> including for fine-tuning his own product. It may be a little
> unfair, but I definitely find it good for overall Go programs'
> progress.

Sure, in fact it has been predictable since GNU Go started to become
strongish that some people would make use of its availability to tune
their programs extensively. I'm mostly wondering whether that has
started to happen yet, or not.

> BTW, GNU Go was used in several conference papers as a benchmarking
> player and as such, it has made a considerable contribution to the
> whole community.

Indeed, that's something we can be proud of.

/Gunnar