Re: [gnugo-devel] very specific defense pattern

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] very specific defense pattern
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:53:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, SP LEE wrote:

> I thought this pattern is little strange first. Then I understand the
> opponent might capture the stone on the first line if lacking of liberty.
> Should this be an endgame pattern? Should the liberty check be added? If
> there is no enemy stone above *, this defense may not be urgent.

I believe that we are discussing a tactical defense pattern.  These
patterns are rather special, in that they are only checked at stackp == 0,
and are only tried in cases where they are needed (ie, defense patterns
are only tried for potentiall attackable strings, and vice versa).  So, it
makes sense to try this defense any time the 1st line stone is attackable
and no other times; a constraint to enforce this is unneeded because of
the way the patterns get used.  Of course, I could be misremembering here,
it's been a while since I looked at that code.

Evan Daniel