Re: [gnugo-devel] how influence influences owl

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] how influence influences owl
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:44:24 -0500

>Among these FAILS are some owl failures which I do not understand. Can
>someone more owl-knowledgeable explain me how the influence function affects
>the owl code, and e.g. change the moves tried? That would be very helpful.

Here are some debug flags that may help track down the differences:

for owl:109 :
gq -l games/jahy.sgf -L 36 --decide-dragon C3 -o x.sgf -d0x0008 -t 2> x

-d0x0008 (DEBUG_ESCAPE) gives a summary of the owl_escape values.  If
  these are different, that could account for the differences.

-t outputs information on which patterns matched.  Taking a look at the
  differences, and comparing the constraints should help.

-o x.sgf  gives a nice SGF file.  You may need to take a look here.

Another possibility is that the eye shapes are evaluated differently,
in which case you'll want to take a look at DEBUG_EYES -d0x0002  I
usually use this with DEBUG_OWL also (-d0x04).  I believe that the
eye shape evaluation functions rely on influence values.

BTW:
$ alias gq
alias gq='nice -n 19 ../interface/gnugo.exe --quiet'