Re: [gnugo-devel] free go client and protocol

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] free go client and protocol
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 07:59:39 -0800

> just had a look at your gnugo page trying to find some specification
> about the GMP protocol.

The specification is at:

http://www.britgo.org/tech/gmp.html

You can implement it pretty easily by including the files
gmp.[ch] (written by Bill Shubert). Copies of these files are in
the GNU Go sources. A strange defect in the protocol is that
there is no way of passing the komi.

> First, you asked about free Go programs. I am currently working
> on a SGF client. Planned, but not yet realized, is to implement
> a client for IGS/NNGS and hooking in GnuGo, similar to cgoban1.

Good, I linked you from:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo.html

I classified qGo under sgf editors. Should move to clients
when that functionality is working.

> I talked with Bill Shubert about a new protocol that is planned
> to replace the old GMP, and that GnuGo is able to support the
> new one (damn, I forgot the name! GTP... or so).
>
> Is there a specification for that new protocol available
> somewhere? I am unsure if I should bother implementing GMP at
> all. Some hints about this would be highly appreciated. .)

There is a draft specification.

The GTP home page is at:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gunnar/gtp/

You should read the section on the GTP in the GNU Go TeXinfo
documentation. There are some files you can use in the GNU Go
sources, too, interface/*gtp.[ch] and interface/gtp_examples/*.

See also:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html

Dan