Re: [gnugo-devel] Preparatory patch

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Preparatory patch
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:31:30 +0100 (CET)

> I started this change a few days ago, but I hope that it applies
> cleanly to the current version in CVS.  In particular I hope that it
> doesn't clash to heavily with Arends scheme to filter out redundant
> move reasons.
It does not clash logically, but of course discard_redundant_rules would
need to be rewritten. As I won't be at home for two weeks from tomorrow, and
as I don't think I should do that right now without time to think about
it and to test my changes, I am afraid I cannot do that now.

OTOH, it should not be too much work. Any duplication rule that says
"IF A and B then disregard A" should imply "If A_THREAT and B_THREAT then
disregard A_THREAT" and "If A_THREAT and B then disregard A_THREAT".
(I don't think the current code is consistent with that.)
Then there are rules that also say "If A and B_THREAT then disregard A".
Finally there are rules that only say "If A_THREAT and B then
disregard A_THREAT".
So this seems to suggest and additional status flag to discard_rule that
can distinguish between three different type of rules. Doing this should
automatically clear up some existing inconsistencies.

-Arend