Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl cutting dragon in half failures

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl cutting dragon in half failures
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 19:56:06 +0100

Trevor wrote:
> I'm not sure how to correct this problem, but it seems quite
> serious.
>
> In owl:111, the following sequence is declared as 2 or more secure
> eyes, though the eyes have been clearly split into 2 separate
> dragons in the course of the fight:

This is a well-known and fundamental shortcoming of the owl code. The
only reasonable way to solve it is to require the owl code to do
internal connection analysis between the moves. This should be an
important goal for the next generation owl code, but at this time I'd
say these problems are simply too hard to solve.

/Gunnar