Re: [gnugo-devel] Half and false eye with ko.

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Half and false eye with ko.
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:08:47 -0800

> It seems to me like this could be handled by assigning the topological
> eye value 3.5 to (a) and 2.5 to (b) and that this should be reasonably
> straighforward to implement.
>
> In order to make use of this we would also have to revise
> compute_eyes() and compute_eyes_pessimistic() which would probably be
> best done by effectively evaluating the eye space twice, once after
> rounding the topological eye value up and once after rounding it down.
>
> Comments?

This is such an elegant and simple idea I'm surprised we didn't
think of it before.

If two of the diagonals are contingent on ko, I think the
scheme still works. In other words .5 + .5 = 1.0 reflects the
reality of the situation, for example when a group is alive
by double ko.

|XX...
|OXXX.
|.OOX.
|O.OXX
|.OX.X
+-----

At the 2,2 point there are two relevant diagonals
contributing 0.5 + 1.5 = 2 so the 2,2 point is a
true eye.

Dan