Re: [gnugo-devel] move valuation

From: Inge Wallin
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] move valuation
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:25:58 +0100 (MET)

Gunnar wrote:
> Inge wrote:
> > > The double sente value computation is probably not very good.
> >
> > Indeed it is not, since the two players in a a double sente situation
> > often has to play on different intersections.
>
> That has very little to do with the valuation.

Not in principle, but in Gnu Go it does.  What Gnu Go does *not* do is
to check wether *one* certain move destroys the followup potential of
*another* point.  That is what happens in a general double sente
position.  If I play here, not only do I have a big followup, it also
destroys the opponents chance to get his point and his followup.

On the other hand if the same point has a great followup and reverse
followup value, we recognize it, since naturally the opponent can't
play on an already occupied point.

        -Inge