[GNUe] Master/Detail queries

From: Stefan Elwesthal
Subject: [GNUe] Master/Detail queries
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:48:08 +0800

Hello all!

Spent my night trying to work through all this new knowledge that I received
yesterday playing with GNUe.

One thing bothers me, but this might be my lack of knowledge in the database
field, I aplogize if that's the case.
(I've only gotten to page 62 in the "MySQL Bible" yet)

If I create two tables like this:

CREATE TABLE customer

(

    customer_id INT NOT NULL,

    name        VARCHAR(30),

    PRIMARY KEY (customer_id)

) TYPE = INNODB;

CREATE TABLE customer_sales

(

    transaction_id INT NOT NULL,

    amount         INT,

    customer_id    INT NOT NULL,

    PRIMARY KEY(transaction_id),

    INDEX (customer_id),

    FOREIGN KEY (customer_id) REFERENCES customer (customer_id)

) TYPE = INNODB;

And link them together like this:

  <datasource name="dtsCUSTOMER0" connection="innodbtest" requery="True"

              table="customer"/>

  <datasource name="dtsCUSTOMER_SALES1" connection="innodbtest"

              detaillink="customer_id" master="dtsCUSTOMER0"
masterlink="customer_id" requery="True"

              table="customer_sales"/>

I can only perform queries on customer_id's, otherwise I get such a HUGE Error
message that I could spend half a day reading through it. Now, in an Ordertable
one would like to select the Ordernumber, and then bring up the customer_id
(which would be the reference to link together the tables).

It's too early, maybe I'm jabbering, and the more I think about it, this seem
to be a question about database design, I suppose a GNUe-form could have
several master/detail relations?

Regards
Stefan - the one who really would prefer to be at home not in his office today..