Re: An Analysis Pattern for Inventories

From: Derek A. Neighbors
Subject: Re: An Analysis Pattern for Inventories
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:51:05 -0700

I would very much like to use patterns. We have some limitations however. The work must be in the public domain or usable under a license that is acceptable to Derek (GNU). Also the contributors must have signed a copyright assignment.

I would like to clarify, its not a license that is acceptable to me. It is a matter of making sure we dont shoot our freedom in the foot by accepting things that open us up to litigation in the future. We are a meta package of the GNU Project so we also must follow their guidelines on these matters. I just wanted to clarify that its not me that is the 'authority' on these matters just generally as a co-maintainer, I am one of the fellows that has to make sure we are doing the 'correct' thing with regards to copyright and patented material.

I would be more than glad to approach RMS and our Eben on this subject (of using copyrighted patterns) to see their opinion. It the worse case we end up doing own analysis and producing own patterns.

-Derek