gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Re: patch to make vat appear in an extended v

From: kilo
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Re: patch to make vat appear in an extended v
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:22:27 +0200 (CEST)

Warren

thanks for the patch, it is really useful.

Anyhow, I decided not to apply it, but it is not against
your patch
particularly, but due to the fact that it made me think
further what an
atomic ITEM module should contain.

As of today, I think that an atomic ITEM entity should only
contain the
following attributes:
    shortName
    longName
    searchKeywords
    itemType

Different departments would need different further
attributes, eg from a
financial point of view we would need price information (and
VAT, if
needed), but a stock information system would need amount
informations
(min, max, alert), bestBefore info, or possibly several
different prices
(procurement, etc), origin info, etc.
For example, given a hospital, the medical dept won't care
about the
price of the medicine, it only cares about making sure that
enough
supplies are available. The financial dept... well, they
will surely
care about the medicine's price...

So I suggest to cut out the Price class from the ITEM module
and move it
somewhere else. And with it, the VAT info would also go
somewhere else.
But as it should be a democratic process, I hereby ask
everyone to

                        vote about it

Another point that should be discussed is the implementation of
extension of atomic classes - we should agree on an internal
standard
about how this should be done. Aggregation? Extension with
modules?
Please help us and share your thoughts about it too.

kilo