gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Proposal for i18n handling of .gfd files

From: Tom Demuyt
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Proposal for i18n handling of .gfd files
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:02:18 -0400

<large snip>

> And I think that this is the big deal. Whatever kind of runtime
> translation will produce irregular results, sometimes inacceptable, so
> you will have to leave a open door for static translations in such
> cases. People wanting a verified forms quality, will use it most of the
> time, while others, layzy accept the machine work.

In SAP (there I go again:), there is a concept called a domain. A
domain could be 'Customer'. Each domain can be translated. Each
translation must give a 8 char , 15 char and 35 char description  for
use as a label next to inputbox and a up to 35 description for column
header.

Then, when you write your program/form you decide whether you want the
short, long or really long form. It makes things pretty predictable.
That does mean that some serious abbreviation is used for the 8 char.
'CoCo' for the company code etc.

Cheers,
T.