gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] geasInstance.py: When are methods loaded?

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] geasInstance.py: When are methods loaded?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:42:13 -0700

On 11 May 2002 09:48:35 +0200
Reinhard Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Fre, 2002-05-10 um 02.02 schrieb Jens Müller:
> > When will the methods be loaded and the method table created? In
> > __init__ or when a method is called?
>
> I see 3 possibilities actually:
> 1. at application server startup
> 2. at creation of a business object instance
> 3. whenever it is called
>
> 1 means that you have to restart the server every time a method is
> changed. This can be a big problem in a live system.
>
> 2 probably means a high performance impact, especially because all
> available methods of an object are loaded even though most of them
> will not be used at all
>
> IMHO the best way to go would be 3 with some caching of already loaded
> mehtods, defining a means for _very_fast_ access to the method code
> (for example storing the code in the database), rereading the method
> (or a checksum) from the database every time it is called and only
> reloading/recompiling it when it has changed since the last time.

I really think we need to support a myriad of ways and make it an
option.  I see

1. At startup.
2. At business object instance
3. whenever it is called
and
4. on demand
5. in batch (variation of on demand)

4. I mean that a developer can specifically say RELOAD now SPECIFIC
methods.  5. Would use the concept of 4, but allow a process in which to
batch.  So they could be put in night cycles.

I think also there should be option on all of them except at startup
that checks to make sure the object is not in a 'transaction' state
before applying.

-Derek