Re: [GnuCOBOL-users] CDF Behavior Change 2.0 to 2.2: no optional separat

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: Re: [GnuCOBOL-users] CDF Behavior Change 2.0 to 2.2: no optional separator period
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:04:30 +0200

> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 09:36:15 -0400
> From: Marty Heyman <address@hidden>
>
> Previously, a Compiler Directing Facility DEFINE statement ending with a
> period ('.') compiled without error.
> In 2.2, the compiler explicitly complains (as an error) that the line ends in
> a period.
> Is this expected behavior? The User's Guide (2.0) makes no mention of line
> ending restrictions here.

It is not mentioned as no one recognized this until now.
But the behavior is actually correct, for "$SET" (MicroFocus extension)
MF says:

> $SET statements must not be terminated with a period (.).

GnuCOBOL's extension >>SET CONSTANT works the same (Note: if possible
I'd try to not use it, it is only in because of "legacy").

The CDF from ISO2002+ don't have an optional separator period here, too.

This "feature" could be hacked into current sources but likely has some
effort (I guess we have "read until end of line" on pplex.l here, if not
it would be an optional token added to pparse.y [if done "correct" only
possible depending on a compiler configuration])

> Thanks.

Thank you for reporting - others may see the same issue.

> --
> Marty Heyman
> Symas Corporation

Simon