Re: [GnuCOBOL-users] Shipping exe files to others.

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: Re: [GnuCOBOL-users] Shipping exe files to others.
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:33:51 +0100

Hi John,

if you ship libcob and its dependencies along with your executable it
should work directly (technical).
Keep in mind to check the license though, for example linking against
and distributing libdb may force you to ship your COBOL code, too (when
the "client" installs this library via Oracle's installer and just adds
"your" libcob and executable this likely isn't a problem).

If your client has a unix machine I'd always suggest to install GnuCOBOL
on the host as this would be a perfect system match - and only
distribute your compiled COBOL binaries (ideally with its sources to
give the client the same freedom that you enjoy with GnuCOBOL, but this
is not enforced by GnuCOBOL's license).

Simon