Re: [open-cobol-list] creating navigation "words" in screen section?

From: Kevin Monceaux
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] creating navigation "words" in screen section?
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:01:57 -0500

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 06:00:45PM -0400, Patrick wrote:

> I think I am near a solution. I think this can be done by reading the
> cursor position.

I think that's supposed to be available via a variable designated by CURSOR
IS in the SPECIAL-NAMES paragraph.  Unfortunately, the OpenCOBOL
programmer's guide states:

    While the SCREEN CONTROL and EVENT STATUS clauses are clearly noted at
    compilation time as being unsupported, the CURSOR IS clause is not;
    currently, however, it appears to be non-functional at runtime.

In a message to the list a couple of years ago I wrote:

    While on the subject of the SCREEN SECTION, the ChangeLog indicates that
    preliminary support for CURSOR IS was added in 2006.  If I add a CURSOR
    IS clause to my SPECIAL-NAMES the other special name I have defined, CRT
    STATUS, stops working.  Is there a trick to using CURSOR IS, or has it
    not made it past the preliminary support stage in five years?

I never got an answer.  Now I can't even find CURSOR IS mentioned in the
ChangeLog at all.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.