[open-cobol-list] OC on bare metal, foresee any major issues?

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] OC on bare metal, foresee any major issues?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 16:30:33 -0500

I haven't really wanted to program in C(although I am interested in open Cobol internals now). About 15 months ago I started to learn Ada as I wanted to use it for embedded design. I thought that since it's billed as an embedded language and is part of GCC it ought to be able to target all the devices that GCC supports and do so without an operating system.

I own 53lbs of Ada books now, I really love the language and the community but it's like finding out that your wife is already married to another dude and has 5 kids with him. Ada needs an OS under it and unless you have $20K lying around your choices are Linux or Windows.

OC compiles to C, is there any reason I should not be able to cross compile it? I can mix it with C or ASM to access the very low level stuff right? Does anyone see any issues, i am about to dive in and I might crack my head on the shallow end of the pool again-Patrick