[open-cobol-list] Funny things happen with DISPLAY and ACCEPT.

From: John Culleton
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Funny things happen with DISPLAY and ACCEPT.
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:51:07 -0400

When I call my latest toy program from the command line, either from a
regular session or a terminal type window on my GUI,  something funny
happens. I want to display a mesage and then receive some typed in data in
return. Simple, no? Well, not so simple.
Here is the code fragment:
-----------------------
     DISPLAY "Record Key".
     ACCEPT  rec-key.
-------------------------------
What happens is that the ACCEPT line opens up a new window, thus obscuring
the displayed message.
I have a SCREEN SECTION but there is nothing in it. It is just a
placeholder.

If I delete the SCREEN SECTION header the program starts to operate
normally.

IMO an empty section should not affect the way the progam performs. But it
does.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"