[open-cobol-list] Cobcurses installation problem.

From: John Culleton
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Cobcurses installation problem.
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:42:25 -0500

David Essex on the TC list suggested that I use cobcurses to replace the
missing screen section in OC.  It blew up on compile. A literal laden with
hidden tab characters ended up with the following three lines:
  10  SCR-0015 PIC X(023)
      VALUE "
      3.Author:".

The error message refers to the fact that AUTHOR is not in COBOL 2002.   There
are lots of such literals so I hesitate to debug by putting everything on one
line.  In legacy layout one would use a "-" in column 7 but of course this is
in free form.  The Makefile generates this error message:

cobc -c -Wall -Wno-call-params  -std=cobol2002 -I../copybk -free
sd002010.cob -o sd002010.o
SD002010-WS.cbl:36: Error: Author does not conform to COBOL 2002

Now I would normally post this to the SourceForge help forum for Cobcurses but
somehow I am snakebit there also.  I have password problems even though I
jumped through all the account creation hoops required by SourceForge.

Does anyone have experience with cobcurses? Is it worth the trouble? I have
Slackware 12 Linux.   My OC alternatives are to try some sort of cgi
interface, or Tcl/Tk, or whatever.

--
John Culleton