Re: [open-cobol-list] Sort utility within OC

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Sort utility within OC
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 17:30:28 -0400

John R. Culleton wrote:

> David Essex wrote:
>> I don't have a manual, but if memory serves me,
>> the sort fields must be alpha-numeric.
>
> For the *nix sort utility that is correct but for the COBOL sort a
> numeric field should be available for sorting.

Actually I was referring to a main-frame sort utility.
I can't remember the details, but I encountered some problems with
binary numeric fields.

> From Stern & Stern _ Structured Programming in COBOL_:
> "The SORT verb may be used to sort records on either numeric or
> non-numeric key fields."

Yes, for COBOL that is correct.

In any case in a sort you are comparing fields of the same type.
Ignoring the performance penalty, I don't think that should be a problem.