[open-cobol-list] Runtime library question

From: Gerry Weaver
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Runtime library question
Date: Fri Jan 30 23:44:02 2004

Hello All,

I am working on a project, which requires me to read files that were written with Cobol. No one could tell me which Cobol, but I would imagine it was either Microfocus or IBM. The project language is C. I've been looking for a way to read these files from the C language and came across "open-cobol" on the web. I would like to know if I can simply link the runtime library and use the file functions to read these files. If so, I would appreciate any advice someone could give me. I don't know anything about the Cobol language at all. I was trying to reverse engineer the files when someone who knew Cobol told me that they looked like Cobol files. I then searched the web and found open-cobol.

I know this is a little off topic for this list, but at least the file handling code in the runtime would get a good workout ;) I have many, many files to convert.

Thanks in advance,
Gerry