gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2013-04-23

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] gnucap development snapshot 2013-04-23
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:28:36 -0400

More info for developers, especially Felix and Gennady ...

This snapshot mostly does not include other new work.  I wanted
to get the split build version out, because this was blocking
other progress.  The next step is to include your recent work.
The fact that it is not included here does not mean I am
rejecting it.

New work that can be distributed as plugins should be in
separate tarballs  initially, like the BSIM models.  Then, after
beating on it a while, what is mainstream and solid should be
folded in.

Patches to core (lib and include directories) need to be folded
in.  This is now a priority, so it would help me a lot if you
could submit the core patches relative to this snapshot, so they
can be included.

Now that it actually works with split build, it's time to change
revision control systems.  It looks like "git" is the choice,
but I invite other opinions.  I waited initially because
rearranging the files is something that the revision control
systems do not handle well.

This rearrangement was planned for a long time.  Even during
2008-2009, I was working on it, but several times backed it out
and distributed flat because of build and install issues.

It will be at gnu.org, hopefully with a backup somewhere else.

I would like to set it up so experimental branches can be here
too, and could use some help in doing that.

This was supposed to have happened long ago, but I ran into some
personal issues that prevented getting any work done for much
longer than I anticipated.  What I thought would be a few months
turned out to be a few years.

This (split build) is also the biggest block to a stable
release.  It could be 0.36, but the change since 0.35 is big
enough that it just might be ready for a "1.0", and to come out
of beta.