gnucap-devel

[Gnucap-devel] Mixed signal simulation (w/ external programs)

From: Onno Kortmann
Subject: [Gnucap-devel] Mixed signal simulation (w/ external programs)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:37:52 +0100

Hello!

I would like to know if it is possible to link external digital/processor
simulators into gnucap.
In particular, I am interested in interfacing simulavr
[http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/simulavr]
and gnucap. Simulavr is a simulator for the 8-bit AVR cpu which is very
popular amongst hobbyists.

Is this possible at all?

If it is... how would one interface these two applications?
For my purposes, it would be acceptable to have the outputs of the MCU as
voltage sources in gnucap and voltage probes in gnucap as inputs to the MCU
(no modeling of current through the MCU).
For example, I would like to simulate direct digital synthesis with the MCU
but have the analog part (ADC) be modeled also. Only looking at vector output
files doesn't tell one too much about the final piece of electronics :)

I suppose that the most difficult part would probably linking the differential
equation solver "clock" (transient mode time steps) of gnucap with the
simulator clock of such a digital simulator. Maybe it would be possible to
create a driver that runs both gnucap and simulavr (or another digital
simulator) and exchanges signals at "intersection" points?

I really consider implementing such a thing if one could give me some advice.

Best regards,

Onno Kortmann