gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [bug #46241] ImgCrop segfaults with long output file na

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [bug #46241] ImgCrop segfaults with long output file names
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 23:03:14 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #9, bug #46241 (project gnuastro):

I completely agree. One of the main reasons ConvertType converts FITS images
to text files was ultimately to use it in numeric tests. For example we could
cut the central 3 or 5 pixels of the images to see if they were properly
made/processed or not (by comparing it with a reference text 3x3 or 5x5 ascii
file in the source).

You are also right about using tests for making sure that bugs do not
re-surface. Infact it is also advised in the book.

But unfortunately I have been too busy to implement these features my self. It
would be great if the bug fix commit could also come with a test. Adding tests
is really easy:

* Copy one of the existing tests in the 'tests/progname/' to a new script
(with a clear name).

* Change the last line or two (the actual command that is to be tested) to
implement the feature you want to test. All the test scripts are thoroughly
commented, please keep the comments.

* Add the test script address to the 'TESTS' variable in 'tests/Makefile.am'

* Specify the script's dependency(s) in the dependency structure of
'tests/Makefile.am'. The comment explains the logic behind it.

* Run 'autoreconf -f' which will make 'tests/Makefile.in' so the next
configure script builds the proper Makefile to run the test.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46241>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/