Re: What to call Guix

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:06:17 -0200

Em Tue, 16 Dec 2014 00:20:32 -0500
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> escreveu:

> I am thinking about the idea of calling Guix "the reference
> distribution" of GNU.  That term seems inappropriate in two ways:
>
> * It comes from "reference implementation", which means an
> implementation intended mainly to be studied when making other
> implementations, rather than for real use.  Guix is not meant
> only to be studied.
>
> * It suggests something that is basic and not at all fancy, whereas
> Guix is an innovative experimental approach.

I agree, except for the fact that I think it's a bad idea to conflate
GNU Guix (GNU's package manager) and the GNU system itself that the Guix
team is working on for the GNU project.

> This leads me to think of calling it an "avant-garde distribution".
> Perhaps "The GNU Project's avant-garde distribution of GNU/Linux".

I think that saying "avant-garde" is effectively putting emphasis on
technical characteristics, while omitting it is letting the GNU
project's original vision to prevail.  I also don't think we should
promote Linux over GNU Linux-libre.  Therefore, I think an appropriate
name would be along the lines of:

  The GNU Project's distribution of GNU/Linux-libre

I'd insist in omitting "Linux-libre", though, on the same basis I
argued against "avant-garde".

IMHO, usually, and particularly in this case, a simple and truthful
idea tends to be more effective than a more complex and somewhat
subjective which could happen to change its meaning over time and/or
referential.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.