address@hidden: LiveCD (was: Re: Hurd/L4 as a class project)]

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: address@hidden: LiveCD (was: Re: Hurd/L4 as a class project)]
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 02:33:14 +0100

Might be useful for people playing with the Live CD.

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:14:00 -0800
From: Greg Buchholz <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: LiveCD (was: Re: Hurd/L4 as a class project)

    FWIW, there's a wiki page at...

    http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/LiveCD

...which discusses some of the things that I ran into when I attempted
to make a bootable Hurd CD about a year and a half ago.  I was pretty
sucessful in getting grub and gnumach to boot off of a CD, but my
biggest stumbling block was trying to debug isofs9660 while it was
starting up at boot time.  My attempts at debugging by printf, using gdb
over a serial port, and using a sub-hurd failed.  But I always had a
hunch that the problems were probably fairly superficial, if I could
only have found out where and why the translator ended up dying.

Here's wishing you better luck,

Greg Buchholz