Re: About stowfs dependency check

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: About stowfs dependency check
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:18:17 +0100

   I still think that dependency checking is important to implement in
   the translator (I said *checking* not *resolving*, that is it won't
   download or search for missing packages).

I'm still not convinced to 100%.  You put forth good arguments though,
and what I think would be a good way of doing it.

I will think about it a bit longer.

   What the translator could do is to create a dummy foo package by
   linking a special stowfs entry 'MISSING' to 'foo', like this:

   # ln -s /stow/MISSING /stow/foo

Why not just make /stow/foo point into oblivion instead of having a
"vritual" package?  Say, /stow/foo could just point to /stow/MISSING,
where /stow/MISSING doesn't exist.

Thanks.