Re: IBM doesn't like the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: IBM doesn't like the GPL
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:54:20 +0100

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > GPLv3 is clear as mud.
> >
> > Outside the Definitions section it purports to define an "is called"
> > term "aggregate"
>
> It seems clear enough to me. The distinction is between putting a
> bunch of unrelated code together on one disk and linking libraries
> together into a program. It is only called unclear by people who
> want to deliberately blur the distinction in order to try to use
> the aggregation permission to allow them to create a combined work
> without having to license the whole work under the GPL. They would
> get laughed out of court if they actually dared put this nonsense
> in front of a judge.

Go tell it to Larry Rosen. ("He currently advises many open source
companies and non-profit open source projects including Apache Software
Foundation and the Python Software Foundation.  In 2005-2006 he was a
Lecturer in Law at Stanford Law School. Larry currently serves on the
board of directors of International Characters, and on the advisory
boards of SpikeSource, Black Duck Software, and JasperSoft.)

http://markmail.org/message/pkwi5gzoxx3gdoas

-----