Re: Open source - Free software

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:58:25 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    >>>All free software must be commercial, anyone can charge a fee
>    >>>for the act of distributing it.  Otherwise, it is not free
>    >>>software.
>
>    >>What makes you think that all freeware prohibits you from
>    >>charging a fee for the act of distributing it?
>
>    >I didn't write about freeware, I wrote about free software.
>
>    You claimed that free software can't be freeware.
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood you.
>

> Since freeware by definition is software which is distributed
> gratis, it cannot be commercial.

Wrong: this would only be the case if freeware by definition would be
software which _has_ to be distributed gratis, not just software which
happens to be available distributed gratis.

Just because software is distributed gratis does not mean it can't
subsequently (or in parallel) be distributed commercially.