Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:28:39 -0400

On 03/27/2018 09:39 AM, Chris Lamb wrote:
> First, just to clarify, this is to do with seeing firmware quote-errors-
> unquote when running update-initramfs and actually nothing to do with
> messages originating from the kernel / "dmesg".

thats all i was trying to determine - it is the kernel error messages
that this list is interested in - such as discussed in this thread from
2010[1] - although it does appear that this warning would be interesting
as well - i think the important difference is that this one appears as a
"warning" where the other appears to be an "error" (as if the user has
done something wrong by neglecting to acquire the blob)

On 03/27/2018 09:39 AM, Chris Lamb wrote:> However, I can see that this
is not transparent to someone getting
> hold of the source.

indeed, the pureos website has no indication of this - now i understand
why, because that VCS in on the puri.sm domain - i think it is safe to
assume that this list would be in a fervor if even one link appeared on
the pureos website directing users to the puri.sm domain - i hope that
pureos is working toward separating their infrastructure from purism's -
if pureos is hosting their source code on the puri.sm domain, that
itself may be new FSDG problem to be addressed; but perhaps a
contentious one

On 03/27/2018 09:39 AM, Chris Lamb wrote:
> "Clobbered" is, again, not quite accurate; there was indeed a "pureos2"
> upload but it did not revert or change anything related to the above:

i apologize if that was perceived as a loaded word - i meant "clobbered"
only in the most plain, technical sense - it does not mean "reverted" -
it does not even imply intentionality - it only means that some new
thing replaced an old thing, entirely in its place, leaving no trace of
the previous occupant - just as re-assigning a variable blindly evicts
the previous value - in that sense, "clobbered" is entirely accurate and
the appropriate technical term - it implies nothing else

[1]:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2010-12/msg00058.html