Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 09:09:51 -0700 (PDT)

Julie Marchant wondered about this.

Past discussions of this are in the list archives and probably on the
Linux-libre mailing list too. The general summary is that it's one thing
when someone goes and does something on their own. It's another thing
when their system tells them.

And people have shown up on distro mailing lists asking how to install
the stuff that the kernel was telling them to. There was an example of
this on the Trisquel forms not too long ago when a microcode request was
not properly changed in Linux-libre, resulting in the kernel telling the
person to install the updated microcode. So they showed up asking how to
do that.

To make a quote from https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/compromise.en.html

"The issue here is not whether people should be 'able' or 'allowed' to
install nonfree software; a general-purpose system 'enables' and 'allows'
users to do whatever they wish. The issue is whether we guide users
towards nonfree software. What they do on their own is their
responsibility; what we do for them, and what we direct them towards, is
ours. We must not direct the users towards proprietary software as if it
were a solution, because proprietary software is the problem."