Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FSF endorsement request for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-li

From: Dika SP
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FSF endorsement request for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 06:53:06 +0700

Greeaat, another new fsf endorsed distro after long awaited years. Cant wait to test it :)

Happy to see you back Andre (thumbs up)

Rabu, 27 September 2017, André Silva <address@hidden> menulis:
Hi for all, since i've promised to Félicien begin the FSF endorsement
request for Hyperbola after we've fixed up our services such as mailing
lists [0] and bug-tracker [1], i'm here to begin the needed steps to do
it; so the following lines are related about the project and our
commitment that we, the Hyperbola Project, make to the Free Software
Community in general and our users in particular:

* What is Hyperbola?

Hyperbola (https://www.hyperbola.info) is a Free Software and Free
Culture project aiming to provide a fully free as in freedom GNU/Linux
distribution called Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre. It is based on the
packages of the Arch GNU/Linux plus security and stability patches of
Debian GNU/Linux under a Long Term Support (LTS) way. Our next version
(Milky Way v0.2) we will support OpenRC as our main dependency-based
init instead of systemd. [2]

In short, our distro is a new paradigm:

Hyperbola = Arch snapshots + Debian patches and development + OpenRC
from Gentoo + freedom (GNU FSDG) + privacy + LTS + stability [3]

* Privacy?

Hyperbola's objective is to support the privacy of its community,
therefore all software in Hyperbola will be built and patched to be
secure from global data surveillance revealed in the publication of
Snowden's NSA documents [4], as well as additional hardened packages
which remove lower level protocols that may cause privacy leaks,
metadata/fingerprinting, and vulnerabilities.

* What is the meaning about a LTS distro?

Long-term support (LTS) is a type of special versions or editions of
software designed to be supported for a longer than normal period.

Unlike distros such as Parabola and Arch which are rolling release
models, our goal is extend the period of software maintenance; it also
alters the type and frequency of software updates (patches) to reduce
the risk, expense, and disruption of software deployment, while
promoting the dependability of the software.

* Why Hyperbola will remove systemd support in its next stable version
if it is free software?

Hyperbola's objective is to support init freedom. It is about restoring
a sane approach to PID1, one that respects diversity and freedom of
choice. Hyperbola refuses init systems that breaks portability, ignores
backwards compatibility, and replaces existing services, forcing into
adoption.

* Is Hyperbola a distro based on Parabola?

No, it isn't a Parabola-based distro, we are only using a blacklist
based on Parabola to make it a fully free distro [5] and your-freedom
that helps you identify nonfree packages that are installed on your
system at the time of its installation, as well as protecting you from
(accidentally) installing them.[6]

We are using libretools too that is a packaging tool made by them, but
we have plans to create a new one called hypertools adapted to use lxc
instead of systemd-spawn. For now, coadde is developing chroot-nspawn as
systemd-spawn replacement for libretools.

* Is Hyperbola following the GNU FSDG?

Yes, it is our main goal. We have a social contract [7] that is our
commitment that we make to follow the philosophy of Free Software Movement.

Also we have a wiki [8] with our documentation handled and moderated by
our sysadmin team to follow the GNU FSDG guidelines.

Another things are available to follow it are:

a) Source code packages in stable [9] and testing [10] versions
b) Source development [11]
c) Tarballs deblobbed by us [12]
d) Bug tracker to report freedom issues [13]

* Hyperbola Social Contract says: "other free software projects are to
be cooperated with, not competed with".

Is Hyperbola doing it?

Our security, developer and support teams are comprised mostly of fully
free distros devs and activists such as Gaming4JC [14][15], Megver83
[16][17], heckyel [18][19].

It means if they need help, we are available to help them, in short it
is help their development in another fully free distro where they are
maintainers and otherwise they helps us too because they are in our team
too, so our 6th amendment from our social contract is working well.