Re: [GNU-linux-libre] porting torbrowser, fsdg questions

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] porting torbrowser, fsdg questions
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 14:34:04 +0000

ng0 transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> I have the intention to package torbrowser for Guix, a project I
> contribute to.
> I have started to communicate about this with torproject and some other
> projects. In obvious licenses it is okay. What is not clear to me, are
> the parts which were changed for example in icecat compared to firefox.
>
> Depending on what needs to be removed, we could still use the torbrowser
> theme and everything connected to it[0]. I just have no idea where to start
> sorting out items which might conflict with
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
>
> The obvious thing is, we do not want to encourage the use of the Mozilla
> Addon Service (or anything *.mozilla.org). Actually we can move all the
> applicable, fitting addons into Guix packages, at least someone
> started working on this for the Guix packaged icecat.
> What else? If Torproject allows us to use their trademarks,
> firefox/mozilla trademarks are still off the table, that's clear.
>
> What I do not need help with or advice on are issues with the actual packaging
> process or issues beyond the application etc, that's up to myself,
> torproject, and I know what issues can arise and need to be investigated
> or pointed out (for example that it's not an official build but an
> replica of what torbrowser developers do).
>
> 0: That's why I'm asking you, so that I can continue communicating about
> this with torproject.

Alright, I've taken a look at torbrowser 6.5.1 now (previously all I did
was building it, I stopped using it a while ago)

The about dialogue is torproject and only gives respect to Mozilla in
one line, namely the version:
"6.5.1 (based on Mozilla Firefox 45.8.0)"

is this okay? is this problematic? I don't know. Names are names, and I
don't think we can get in trouble (if torproject allows the branding to
be used) for using a branding where a reference to Mozilla Firefox is
kept.

Moving on:

The obvious parts in Preferences are:
The Addon Store accesses Mozilla (which promotes non-free addons, extensions
etc). Trivial to change thanks to icecat.
Firefox "Sync" is enabled (surprising to me), can be disabled again
thanks to icecat.
"Search" lists Google, should probably-maybe be removed.

Next real question I have is about "about:license".
I think if this is relevant from our perspective, and the only mistake
were that Torproject torbrowser developers did not add their pieces of
tor and other included software in there, this can be talked about with
them. But to do so, I would need a second pair of eyes to go over it and
tell me wether this can cause problems when you work under the FSDG or
not.

Thanks,
ng0