Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 18:37:02 +0200

Hello,

On 06/09/2016 05:31 PM, Julie Marchant wrote:
> I don't know whether or not PureOS is libre, but I just want to suggest that
> anyone investigating this question be extra thorough. Purism has a history of
> making promises they couldn't keep (namely the promise of making the "librem"
> laptop respect your freedom, something which is literally impossible) and
> using deceptive marketing, such as this absurd graph:
>
> https://archive.is/HBDm3

They are promises for sure but not cheap ones made. It is all work in
progress and we are gathering great team and discussing a lot of things.
It is not easy to fight this and we choose our way of doing which
currently means sacrificing few things in order to grow but our
foundation doesn't change.

> Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I can't help but wonder why Purism felt the
> need to fork Trisquel. The only possible reasons I can think of are to add
> proprietary drivers, or as yet another deceptive marketing gimmick. And I
> couldn't help but notice one of the Linux Action Show people mentioning that
> the "librem" laptop's touchpad didn't work as well on any other distro he
> tried, including the then-latest Ubuntu, as it did on PureOS. I can't imagine
> why this would be the case if PureOS is libre.

We are based nowdays on Debian testing main archive. There is no
proprietary thing in our archive. For the touchpad - we were mainlining
it for some time - it is not our fault that the process is slow and
other distros didn't pick it (we had patched it into kernel for our OS
and I don't see problem there at all but it is now in 4.6 so everyone
should have it and we don't patch anymore kernel). Said that, the driver
seems yet again broken so we are working on it to improve - but we
certainly don't hide nor keep it for ourselves. Being libre system has
nothing to do with why some driver doesn't work on other OS - as said,
we were mainlining it and instead of waiting we patched kernel on our
own but not anymore.

Director of Technology @Purism