Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 18:34:01 -0500

Joshua Gay wrote:
The guidelines do not need to be updated in light of anything I wrote.
The paragraph explains pretty clear what distros should try to do: "A
free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any
nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. The
system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs. Nor should the
distribution refer to third-party repositories that are not committed to
only including free software; even if they only have free software
today, that may not be true tomorrow. Programs in the system should not
suggest installing nonfree plugins, documentation, and so on."

I've read the text but initially I was unaware of some things that I am now guessing are relevant for evaluating which distros could get the FSF's approval. Nobody but the FSF could provide this clarity because ultimately these are the FSF's guidelines we're discussing. I'll try to explain why I thought additional explanation would have been helpful.

I see in your essay that the presence of free software code to run with MAME is a relevant point, but I was unaware of any freely licensed code to run on MAME. Therefore I asked about that. My initial unawareness left me with only popular arcade games such as Pac-Man, Tempest, and Donkey Kong to consider and these all happen to be nonfree. I also wasn't clear what exactly constituted "steer[ing] users towards obtaining any nonfree information for practical use" because MAME lists a lot information with the -listcrc option, for example. Here's a line from its output:

c1e6ab10 pacman.6e               mspacman        Ms. Pac-Man

This shows practical technical information (CRC, a MAME game name, the more nicely formatted name) regarding one of the Ms. Pac-Man ROM dump files MAME 0.172 (the first free software MAME) is known to work with. I'd expect MAME to give its users this information because users need to know which ROM dump they'll need to get that MAME to play the game. But when considering this information in light of the FSF free distro guidelines, it wasn't clear to me that this did not constitute "steer[ing] users towards obtaining any nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so". I guess that this is okay to do because MAME doesn't list a specific place to get these ROMs (such as a mailing address, a URL, or some other ROM download resource)?

And as I said before, your previous post on this referred to multiple other uses for MAME (telling me these are relevant to determining why a renamed MAME derivative is distributable by an FSF-approved distro) but none of those other uses are listed in the free distro guidelines. This initially left me thinking that (as I told other posters on this thread who also listed other uses for MAME) despite that these other uses exist, they aren't the criteria by which one should evaluate acceptability in a free system distro.

Jean Louis had also been considering this situation in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg01213.html but apparently reached a different conclusion than yours, "MAME clearly gives incentive to use non-free software". So I'm guessing there are others who read the guidelines, knew of MAME, and concluded that MAME cannot be carried by FSF-approved free software distros because MAME steers users toward nonfree software.

Given this unclarity it seemed reasonable to me that the guideline could use more explanation to help me arrive at the intended conclusion -- a MAME derivative with a new name (to avoid the trademark issue) would be okay to include in an FSF-approved free software distro so long as its documentation.